A mid face lift procedure is the preference of those that require facial surgery, on a more specific area of the face. The mid face lift procedure can is used to raise the lips, refine nasal counters and raise saggy checks, and can be done as a stand alone operation or along with other surgical procedures such as a full face lift, neck lift, laser resurfacing and a brow lift for example.
The procedure is generally conducted through initially making small incisions within the patient's hairline and within the mouth. The fat pads of your cheeks are placed above your cheek bones to provide a desirable facial structure. This will also improve nasal furrow that can be caused by pads of fat.
Before undergoing a mid face lif consideration and preparation are vital elements. Those who are considering the procedure should clearly outline their targets, and openly discuss this with their consultant. Those who are considering the procedure should be aware of the risks and complications that can arise, as well as the practical changes that are needed prior to surgery. Patients are required to stop taking medication which alters blood viscosity; including aspirin. In preparation of surgery it is also highly recommended that patients avoid smoking, to provide a quicker recovery.
After the Operation
Following the surgery, a pressure bandage is applied to the face in order to reduce the risk of Hematoma in the blood. The patient will then spend a period in recovery of around three to five hours, after assurances that no bleeding has occurred.
Once home the patient is recommended to rest in a reclined position whilst paying particular attention to avoid movement in the neck. Those who choose to under go the procedure are restricted to a liquid diet, whilst also using ice packs to reduce swelling.
Patients are prescribed anti-biotic until the first stitches are removed at around five days. Those who under go the procedure should expect the remaining stitches to be removed within ten days, whilst expecting in excess of two weeks to fully recover.
Recovering from facelift surgery
- Patients should avoid smoking as well as any exposure to passive smoking prior to and after the procedure.
- Consumption should be reserved to liquids until twenty four hours after the operation.
- Post surgery the patient should remain in a reclined position for twenty four hours to avoid any unnecessary strain.
For the large majority of adults who under go mid face lift surgery the results will be a success with no unforeseen consequences. Despite this, the capacity for risks and complications remain, as is the case for almost all surgical procedures.
Risks and complications
- Swelling and pain may affect one side of the face as a result of a Hematoma. This will usually occur within forty eight hours of surgery and may require the reopening of stitches.
- Face lift surgery may also cause nerve damage, affecting the patient's ability to demonstrate facial expression. This is unlikely to cause lasting damage beyond six months.
- Infection is another risk associated with this surgical procedure. Surgeons should always take full care to avoid this as best they can.
- Patients who have under went facelift surgery may also run the risk of permanent scarring.
- As a result of the incision line which the surgeon will penetrate to perform the operation hair loss may occur. In the instance where this occurs, it is more likely that any loss will be restricted to the incision line.
By nature, all medical procedures carry an element of risk. While the majority of patients do not experience any complication during our mid face lift procedures, before embarking on any medical procedure, it is advisable to consult fully with the Mclean Academy so that our qualified staff can suitably discuss any risk or concerns that your procedure may pose.